Our top tips for avoiding the debilitating effects of back pain
- If you have back pain, see the osteopath sooner rather than later
- Take regular exercise - your osteopath can say what's right for you
- Hours in one position can cause problems - avoid 'computer hump'
- During repetitive tasks, vary your rhythm and take frequent breaks
- Adjust car seats and, on long journeys, take regular breaks to stretch
- Pace yourself with heavy work like gardening - don't 'risk a disc'
- Watch children's posture - they shouldn't carry bags on one shoulder
- During pregnancy, see an osteopath to help your body adjust to changes
- Avoid strain when lifting (particularly small children and shopping)
- If symptoms do not clear up within a few days, consult your osteopath for advice and treatment
- If it hurts, don't do it!